Search This Blog

Thursday, April 29, 2010

Day 119 - April 29, 2010



At our old house in Newington, we used to have this apple tree in the front yard. I lived at that house until I was eight years old, and I spent many afternoons after school out in that apple tree. There was this branch that stuck out horizontally about 4 or 5 feet up that I could just crawl out onto and sit on. It was my "seat" on the tree. That apple tree was home to many adventures for my friends, sister and I. It even survived Hurricane Gloria. After the storm passed, we came outside to see the trunk of the tree had been split right down the middle, but the tree was still standing. I loved that apple tree. When we moved away, I missed it terribly. When I got my drivers license, I would drive back by the old house on occasion and see if the tree was still there. One day, it wasn't. I think I cried for days knowing that the tree with so many memories that survived the hurricane had succumbed to the chainsaw or the axe of the current homeowners. I hadn't thought about the tree in a while, and today when I had the chance to really look at the tree in front of Eric's parents' house, it reminded me of it. It's gnarly branches and many places to climb was so similar to my apple tree. Seems kinda silly to get so emotional about a tree, and I wish I could have gone by the house to take a picture to show you. It was a pretty awesome tree...

Until Tomorrow,

Athina

2 comments:

  1. Childhood memories...that was a nice one. We had a big apricot tree in our yard. We managed to put a full sheet of thick plywood up in it, and used it as our fort. Just like you, I have some great memories...when I next have a chance, I'm going to drive by there and see if the tree is still there. thanks for that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents actually planted a tree for both my sister and I when we were born at the house. Both of those are still there thankfully, and they're pretty tall after 30 years! I just was sad to see the apple tree gone. It grew some pretty tasty apples if I recall! :)

    ReplyDelete